Thursday, May 19, 2011

More on the Road Trip

So, I have more about the road trip I took with my dad.  Everyone should take a trip across the country like that at least once in their lives.  Me, I have done it many times.  Not any time recently, but when my sisters and I were younger, we used to do it every year with our Mom.   That was many years ago.  In fact, the last time I had done it, was oh....about 1976.  So, for me, this was a little nostalgic...this trip across I-80 from California to Michigan.  In case you are not familiar with it,  I-80 goes all the way across the country from Sea to Shining Sea.  From California, you go into Nevada.  Once past Reno..(the Biggest Little City on Earth), the road goes on forever and let me tell you, Nevada is a very God-forsaken place.  (my apologies to anyone from Nevada).  Soon, you are crossing the Great Salt Flats and into Utah. Once past Salt Lake City, it gets very hilly and beautiful and you are into Wyoming....another state that takes years to get across. Wyoming through Nebraska., Iowa, Illinois, Indiana....(my home state)...and then Michigan. All of those fields and pastures made me want to break out into "This land is your land, this land is my land". I was really looking forward to seeing how things had changed over the years.  Let me tell you something.  Not much has changed in the 35  years since I last took that trip.  In fact, I believe I saw some of the same old rusted vehicles up on blocks that were there 35 years ago.  Our first night, we stayed in Rock Springs, Wyoming.  Isn't that some kind of an oxymoron?  We ate at I-HOP.  Yes, I-HOP.  I had a 19 year old waitress call me honey. Rather charming. Now that is Americana for you!!  All of you Housewives of Orange County and New York, take a trip across the country and see how most of America lives.  It is a real eye-opener.  Many parts of this country are beautiful, but many others are a little sad.  So much land and so much poverty. Not to get all political again, but makes you realize why there is such a wide divide in this country......Kind of puts things in perspective.....makes you appreciate what you've got.  I recommend you give it a try............

1 comment:

  1. yes! you ate at i-hop? how perfect and stereotypical. and the waitress calling you honey...lol...like every picture of the great plains you have ever seen!

    ReplyDelete